Seven sustainability initiatives by Saadiyat Rotana Resort & Villas
The five-star property is pushing for sustainability
Five-star property Saadiyat Rotana Resort & Villas has been working on pushing sustainability initiatives. Here’s a look at what the property has been doing so far
• Plastic straws have been substituted with paper straws in all outlets and the hotel is at the stage of introducing filtration machines and glass bottles in its all day dining restaurant and banquet operations.
• In June 2019, the hotel implemented its winnow system, a food waste monitoring system in Sim-Sim restaurant. The kitchen managed to save AED 170,000 to date through analysing food waste data. The amount of food waste has been reduced significantly at the Sim-Sim buffet – 21,000 meals, which is equivalent to 35,000kg of food.
• Throughout the year, Saadiyat Rotana Hotel Resort & Villas has sponsored six ENGH workshops related to different subjects about the environment. In addition, the hotel made a donation of AED 44,000 to community education initiatives focusing on establishing an eco-friendly and sustainable environment. The subjects featured sustainable tourism and natural desert habitats awareness.
• During the day, the property uses solar panels-320, and in 2019 managed to save AED 292,527.
• There are three electric car-charging stations located at the property.
• In November 2019, the engineering team changed SNG (saturated natural gas) to natural gas (NG) and this was a positive impact on the environment.
• Eco Shower Water For All: Beach shower reduced by 75% the water consumption by using recycled water to operate Showers. The water Recycling System functions like a small-scale water treatment plant which continuously captures, filters and recirculates 100% of the water used during the shower in real life. This system is the first of its kind in the UAE, that tackles the beach shower water recycling and reusage in terms of sustainability.