Five ways Tryp by Wyndham Dubai is working towards sustainability
Hotel has saved 11.2 million litres of water since installing new water saving technologies at the start of the year
TRYP by Wyndham Dubai, a 650-room hotel in Barsha Heights, has established a number of sustainability initiatives that reduce wastage and help reduce the hotel’s carbon footprint.
Here are five ways the hotel has achieved this:
1. Reduction of waste of over 270,000 plastic bottles has been achieved since the hotel launched the pet plastic bottle free initiative in March 2019. The hotel has fully operationalised a glass water bottle refilling system, completely eliminating the use of plastic bottles.
2. The hotel has reduced water consumption by 11,281,204 litres since the beginning of 2019 with the introduction of water-saving initiatives. Water aerators in shower heads have reduced water use from 12l per minute to 6l per minute, new wash basin tap aerators reduce water use from 9l per minute to 3.5l per minute and water conserving flush tanks have been installed in the 670 toilets throughout the hotel.
3. Over 100kgs of soap has been recycled through the Soap for Hope programme which was launched in January 2019. Traditionally a major source of waste in hotels, used soap bars are collected sent to developing countries to be reprocessed and compressed into new 500g bricks. The initiative creates jobs and improves standards of living in the countries where the programme is operating.
4. Over 300,000 pieces of plastic packaging waste has been removed from the hotel by using bulk bathroom amenities in all guest bathrooms since March 2019. Toiletries are no longer provided in small disposable plastic bottles but in large refillable containers removing the need for thousands of pieces of unnecessary plastic packaging.
5. Over 7.2 tonnes (6,532 kg) of the hotel’s cardboard has been recycled and turned into tissues and paper towels.