Hotel owner charged with sewer cleaner deaths in India

Seven sanitation workers died from inhaling toxic fumes after cleaning the sewers at the Darshsan Hotel

Image used for illustrative purposes only
Image used for illustrative purposes only

Darshsan Hotel owner has been reportedly charged with the deaths of four sanitation workers and three staff after inhaling toxic fumes while cleaning the sewer of the property in India’s Gujarat state.

According to local police, the incident occurred after one sanitary worker entered the septic tank and did not return after a long period of time and would not respond to calls. This resulted in three colleagues entering the sewer to find the missing worker.

When none of the four sanitary workers came out, three members of hotel staff also went in to find the missing workers.

Local media has reported that the deaths were caused by inhaling toxic fumes from the sewer.

UK broadcaster the BBC reported that emergency services pulled out all seven bodies during a three hour operation in the village of Fartikui.

Following the operation, the hotel manager, who has not been named for legal purposes, was charged with the deaths.

For all the latest hospitality news from UAE, Gulf countries and around the world, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page.

Most Popular

Newsletter