Indian Hotels Company Limited partners with GIC to invest in luxury hotel assets

The partnership is designed to boost "underperforming" hotels in India

IHCL and GIC sign the hotel asset partnership
IHCL and GIC sign the hotel asset partnership

The Indian Hotels Company Limited (IHCL) has created a platform with Singapore-based wealth fund GIC to acquire operational hotels in India’s luxury segment.

The platform, which is set to be worth 4000 crores (USD 600m), is set to be spread across three years and is designed to boost “underperforming” hotels in some of India’s key markets with IHCL’s “experience and capabilities”.

Details of the platform include IHCL pursuing acquisitions in an asset light format, with the equity contribution from IHCL at 30% and the remaining 70% being contributed by GIC.

Did you like this story?
Click here for more

The hotels acquired will be managed by IHCL under its various brands and the partnership was signed by IHCL managing director, Puneet Chhatwal, and GIC chief investment officer, Kok Sun Lee.

According to Chhatwal, the collaboration is in line with Aspiration 2022 and expects to acquire assets that need new ownership, branding and positioning.

“Our vision is to scale up and create greater enterprise value, as well as make IHCL South Asia’s most iconic and profitable hospitality company,” said Chhatwal.

Aspiration 2022 is based on the three-pronged strategy of re-structuring, re-engineering and re-imagining the IHCL’s portfolio. The strategy is aimed at margin enhancement and growth to fulfil its aspiration of becoming the most iconic and profitable hospitality company in South Asia.

Sun Lee said as a long-term investor, the company was confident on the outlook for India’s hospitality sector.

“GIC is pleased to partner with IHCL, a leading hotel owner and operator, to build a quality hospitality portfolio in key destinations across India,” said Sun Lee. “We look forward to pursuing attractive opportunities and capture the sector’s growth potential.”

For all the latest hospitality news from UAE, Gulf countries and around the world, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page.

Most Popular

Newsletter

Reports

Human Capital Report 2017

Human Capital Report 2017

The second annual Hotelier Middle East Human Capital Report is designed to explore the issues, challenges and opportunities facing hospitality professionals responsible for the hotel industry’s most important asset – its people. The report combines the results of Hotelier Middle East's HR Leaders Survey with exclusive interviews with the region's senior human resources directors.

Hotelier Middle East Housekeeping Report 2016

Hotelier Middle East Housekeeping Report 2016

The Hotelier Middle East Housekeeping Report 2016 provides essential business insight into this critical hotel function, revealing a gradual move towards the use of automated management and a commitment to sustainability, concerns over recruitment, retention and staff outsourcing, and the potential to deliver much more, if only the industry's "image problem" can be reversed.

From the edition

From the magazine