Century-old British-era hotel in India gutted by massive fire
The hotel was built in 1892 in India's hill-station Shimla
A major fire gutted down a major portion of the Grand Hotel in India’s hill-station Shimla, on early Monday morning.
Three floors of the recently renovated Mayo Block — a VVIP wing of the hotel — was burnt in the fire which started at the reception, several Indian media outlets reported.
No information on the cause of the fire was made available by offices. However, according to reports the fire started at 12.50 am. No casualties were reported as the wing was not yet occupied.
The property that is more than a century old, was the first hotel in Shimla and was built after the property was acquired in 1892.