Butch Lim nabs Hotel Engineer of The Year 2018 title
Lim has been with the hotel for more than three decades
Butch Lim from Le Méridien Dubai Hotel & Conference Centre walked away with the Hotel Engineer of the Year 2018 at the Hotelier Middle East Awards.
Lim, who has been with the hotel for more than 30 years and serves as the director of engineering, was intensely involved in the planning and multi-million dollar construction of 196-room executive wing ‘Le Royal Club’ from 2012 to 2018.
In 2017, the hotel’s lobby received a complete face-lift. While the external team of contractors was tasked with revamping different sections of the vast lobby, Lim with his 28-member team played an active part in guiding them through the hotel’s foundations and HVAC system to complete the renovation on schedule.
When asked about the win, Lim said, “This awards means a lot of things to me. Now, before I retire, I have a souvenir. At this age, after more than 30 years at this hotel, I’m ready to retire soon.”
For those looking to follow his steps in hotel engineering, Lim shared that while being an engineer at a hotel has a lot components, the key to success is simple. He said: “It’s a lot of work, stay focused and determined. That’s it.”
Lim received his award from Tark Zakaria, the managing director from Jung Middle East at the ‘Taste of India’ themed affair on October 24, 2018 at the Le Méridien Dubai Hotel & Conference Centre.
The Highly Commended nominee in this category is Mohiy Sowilam for his work at Radisson Hotel Abu Dhabi Yas Island.
The full list of shortlisted nominees are:
- Mohiy Sowilam, cluster director of engineering, Radisson Blu and Park Inn by Radisson hotels Yas Island Abu Dhabi
- Butch Lim, director of engineering, Le Meridien Dubai Hotel & Conference Centre
- Raja Selvaraj, engineering supervisor, DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Residences Dubai – Al Barsha
- Victor Peter, director of engineering, Fairmont Ajman
- Samer Ibdah, director of engineering, InterContinental Hotel Jeddah
- Sikander Petkar, duty engineer, TIME Topaz Hotel Apartments
- Gopa Kumar Menon, Director of Engineering, Radisson Blu Hotel, Dubai Deira Creek
- Talal Khleifat, cluster director of engineering, InterContinental Hotel Jordan