Modul University Dubai officially opens its doors
More than 100 students from 30 different nationalities have enrolled for various tourism and hospitality higher education programmes at Modul University Dubai
Modul University Dubai, offering specialised tourism and hospitality courses, was officially inaugurated on October 10, 2016 with a ceremony at its 25,000f2 campus at One JLT, Jumeirah Lakes Towers.
The inauguration was held in the presence of Knowledge and Human Development Authority [KHDA] chairman of the board Dr Abdulla Al Karam, Dubai Investments Industries [DII] general manager Mohammed Saeed Al Raqbani, DMCC executive chairman Ahmed Bin Sulayem, Ambassador of Austria to the UAE H.E. Andreas Liebmann, Vienna Chamber of Commerce & Industry, president H.E. Walter Ruck, Modul University Vienna founding president Dr Karl Wober and many other dignitaries, business leaders and officials.
In his opening address, Modul University Dubai managing director Zaid Maleh said: “Our full time faculty are great assets to our team; all are PhD holders, supported by carefully selected faculty members, while maintaining a PhD ratio of not less than 70%; so with that mix, I think our students will have a very prosperous academic experience here.”
In a speech by Knowledge and Human Development Authority [KHDA] chairman of the board Dr Abdulla Al Karam, he said: “By 2020, Dubai will have witnessed new growth, and there is no question about the amount of construction that will come; Modul University will help us build the manpower, the graduates and volunteers, so we’re pleased to have Modul here focusing on tourism and hospitality management.
“So we look to Modul to be a key player not only in the GCC, but it’s going to be a global player based in Dubai and will create more bridges between Vienna and Dubai. not only in education, but business too.”
Dubai Investments owns a 90% stake in Modul University Dubai, while DACH Advisory, a specialised investment management firm in the transfer of cross-border business models, owns the remaining 10%.
DII general manager Mohammed Saeed Al Raqbani said: “UAE is a hotspot for business, with tourism and hospitality as a core pillar in its economic growth. With the total contribution of the sector expected to grow at nearly 5.5% in the country over the next 10 years, Modul University Dubai is the right fit in the UAE market, with its strong legacy in the tourism and hospitality education worldwide. The growth potential is immense and Dubai Investments Industries is thrilled to be part of this initiative in capacity building and knowledge development.”
Over 100 students from 32 different nationalities, with 20% overseas students, have enrolled in the first batch of programmes at Modul University Dubai, which specialises in undergraduate and MBA degree programs in hospitality and tourism management.
DMCC executive chairman Ahmed Bin Sulayem said: “The launch of Modul University Dubai represents a great initiative towards elevating educational services in the UAE and will help fuel the nation’s knowledge economy. At DMCC we believe in empowering and preparing the next generation of strategists and leaders, through education and guidance. Modul University embraces the ethos of providing opportunities for rising stars to shine and it gives us great pleasure to welcome everyone to DMCC.”
Modul University Dubai, the only Austrian University in the Middle East with a track record of over 100 years of experience in education, also offers Bachelor of Science in International Management, general MBA and MBA in New Media and Information Management as well as short-term professional development courses for hospitality working professionals.