61% of housekeepers do not use relevant software

Hotelier Middle East's first ever Housekeeping Report 2016 is now live, featuring in-depth analysis of housekeeping operations at hotels across the Middle East

Hotelier Middle East's Housekeeping Report 2016 is now live
Hotelier Middle East's Housekeeping Report 2016 is now live

The use of technology has become increasing widespread in hospitality as a means of improving efficiency and tracking operational activities.

However, according to the findings of the Hotelier Middle East Housekeeping Report 2016, housekeeping is one hotel department where there is still significant room for growth, in relation to the use of technology. 

The report uncovered that the vast majority of housekeeping departments do not use any purpose-built software for monitoring inventory, tracking which rooms have been cleaned and inspected, and where guests are due to check-in and -out.

Did you like this story?
Click here for more

The efficient monitoring of all these metrics is of course vital for the efficient operation of housekeeping departments in hotels.

However, according to those surveyed, a staggering 61% revealed that they used a simple self-made spreadsheet to monitor inventory. Among the remaining 39%, the types of software solutions used varied dramatically.

Similarly, communication between housekeepers was exposed as a little behind the times, with a significant portion of hotels (25%) using a simple “Whatsapp” chat group or similar to communicate between staff.

More surprisingly, 31% of respondents had not even reached this level of technology with intra-department communication, and did not use any form of mobile technology to manage and monitor their team.

Aside from the obvious benefit of greater efficiency, speaking to Hotelier, Grand Hyatt Dubai functional housekeeping specialist and housekeeping manager Tatjana Ahmed highlighted the cost saving benefit of going completely paperless, as Ahmed’s own department at the Grand Hyatt Dubai is.

“If you think, we have 10 team leaders and they all have arrival lists, departure lists, VIP in-house lists; they have 30 pieces of printed paper each and then the evening shift comes, and reports are [re-]created," Ahmed told Hotelier.

"I would think we save one or two reams of paper a day, and over a year, that is a lot of money. And of course you save time,” Ahmed added.

Read the Housekeeping Report 2016 in full to find out more about the challenges facing housekeeping departments in the region.

To download the Hotelier Middle East Housekeeping Report 2016 now, click here.

 

For all the latest hospitality news from UAE, Gulf countries and around the world, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page.

Most Popular

Newsletter

Reports

Human Capital Report 2017

Human Capital Report 2017

The second annual Hotelier Middle East Human Capital Report is designed to explore the issues, challenges and opportunities facing hospitality professionals responsible for the hotel industry’s most important asset – its people. The report combines the results of Hotelier Middle East's HR Leaders Survey with exclusive interviews with the region's senior human resources directors.

Hotelier Middle East Housekeeping Report 2016

Hotelier Middle East Housekeeping Report 2016

The Hotelier Middle East Housekeeping Report 2016 provides essential business insight into this critical hotel function, revealing a gradual move towards the use of automated management and a commitment to sustainability, concerns over recruitment, retention and staff outsourcing, and the potential to deliver much more, if only the industry's "image problem" can be reversed.

From the edition

From the magazine