JW Marriott hotel 18-year-long dispute is settled

The dispute centers around whether a Kuwaiti or an Emirati family owns the hotel and a shopping centre

JW Marriott Dubai
JW Marriott Dubai

The Deira hotel, operated by Marriott, has been at the heart of an 18-year legal battle between a Kuwaiti family and an Emirati family, which has finally come to an end.

The judge overseeing the long-running casecase ruled on the case, which centers around the ownership of the Marriott property and of the Hamarain Shopping Centre.

Emirati businessman Rashid Saif Hamarain’s family and the family of Kuwaiti businessman Yousuf Rashid Bu Rousli have been duking things out for almost two decades.

Did you like this story?
Click here for more

The conclusion came at Dubai Cassation Court when presiding judge Dr Ali Ebrahim ruled in favour of the Kuwaiti family, ruling that the Bu Rouslis owned 80 percent of the hotel and the shopping centre, while the remaining 20 percent belongs to the Hamarain family.

For all the latest hospitality news from UAE, Gulf countries and around the world, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page.

Most Popular

Newsletter

Reports

Human Capital Report 2017

Human Capital Report 2017

The second annual Hotelier Middle East Human Capital Report is designed to explore the issues, challenges and opportunities facing hospitality professionals responsible for the hotel industry’s most important asset – its people. The report combines the results of Hotelier Middle East's HR Leaders Survey with exclusive interviews with the region's senior human resources directors.

Hotelier Middle East Housekeeping Report 2016

Hotelier Middle East Housekeeping Report 2016

The Hotelier Middle East Housekeeping Report 2016 provides essential business insight into this critical hotel function, revealing a gradual move towards the use of automated management and a commitment to sustainability, concerns over recruitment, retention and staff outsourcing, and the potential to deliver much more, if only the industry's "image problem" can be reversed.

From the edition

From the magazine