Fifth of UK hospitality staff say they steal tips

Workers said they kept tips rather than sharing them with colleagues

8% of respondents admitted they had taken money from a till in the past
8% of respondents admitted they had taken money from a till in the past

Almost one fifth of workers employed in the UK hospitality industry steal money they have received from customers as tips at least twice a month, research has suggested.

A survey by security products supplier Versapak of 2,107 hospitality workers who are regularly tipped found that 19% were taking the money rather than sharing the profits equally with co-workers.

Meanwhile, 8% of respondents admitted they had taken money from a till in the past or short-changed customers in order to keep the difference.

Did you like this story?
Click here for more

Of those polled, 82% stated that, in their current jobs, tips were added up and divided between colleagues working during the shift, whilst the remaining 18% stated that they were allowed to keep the tips given to them personally by customers they had served or looked after.

Of the 82% who were the recipients of split tips, 33% were happy with the way tips were handed out, while over half 54% admitted they felt the system was unfair and they would prefer to simply keep the tips they made themselves. The remaining 13% admitted they saw benefits and advantages to each system of dividing tips.

For all the latest hospitality news from UAE, Gulf countries and around the world, follow us on Twitter and Linkedin, like us on Facebook and subscribe to our YouTube page.

Most Popular

Newsletter

Reports

Human Capital Report 2017

Human Capital Report 2017

The second annual Hotelier Middle East Human Capital Report is designed to explore the issues, challenges and opportunities facing hospitality professionals responsible for the hotel industry’s most important asset – its people. The report combines the results of Hotelier Middle East's HR Leaders Survey with exclusive interviews with the region's senior human resources directors.

Hotelier Middle East Housekeeping Report 2016

Hotelier Middle East Housekeeping Report 2016

The Hotelier Middle East Housekeeping Report 2016 provides essential business insight into this critical hotel function, revealing a gradual move towards the use of automated management and a commitment to sustainability, concerns over recruitment, retention and staff outsourcing, and the potential to deliver much more, if only the industry's "image problem" can be reversed.

From the edition

From the magazine