The Vdara hotel in Las Vegas is quickly attempting to come up with a solution to what has been dubbed a ‘death ray’ caused by the building’s design.
Guests have complained of severe burns from sunlight that has been concentrated by the all-glass front of the building.
According to reports, plastic has melted and guests have run for cover as the intense beam wreaked havoc poolside.
Gordon Absher, a spokesman for MGM Resorts, which owns the hotel, told reporters the company was aware of the issue and designers were working with staff to find a solution.
Through the day the ray moves across the pool increasing temperatures by around 20 degrees.
Thicker umbrellas have been provided as interim measure, while the problem is being resolved.