Fattoush with makdous
For the fattoush (serves four)
1 Arabic bread ea, 80ml corn oil
For the salad
4 baby cucumber ea, 4 small tomatoes ea, 4 heads local lettuce, 2 spring onions ea, 20g flat parsley, 30g Bakleh, 15g fresh mint, 5g sumac powder, 4g makdous (stuffed eggplant pickles)
For the dressing
1 large lemon ea, 30ml Lebanese olive oil, salt & pepper
Method: For the bread
1. In a medium-sized pan, heat the corn oil and deep fry the bread until golden brown.
2. Remove from the oil with a perforated spoon and place on absorbent paper to drain off any excess oil.
Method: For the dressing
1. Place the oil and the lemon juice into a small mixing bowl, add salt and whisk together. Set aside.
Method: For the salad
1. Cut the cucumber, tomato and lettuce into medium dice and mix with the rest of the salad ingredients, in a medium sized bowl.
2. Add the dressing and toss the salad. Place into four bowls, top with sliced makdous, fried Bread, garnish, arrange neatly and serve.